In this article, you will learn about the vitamin B12 injections side effects, whether they are good or bad for us, and other related information.
Vitamin B12 is required by our body for proper working of the cells in our body. It also helps in the formation of red blood cells, and its deficiency can often lead to anemia. Besides this, it also plays an important role in improving the metabolism rate of our body as well as maintaining the central nervous system in a proper condition. Its sources are mainly animal products, like fish, meat, etc., and dairy products. But sometimes, when people do not take this kind of diet properly, they might often suffer from anemia or other related diseases.
In order to treat these people and also to make up for the loss of the vitamin in the body, vitamin B12 injections are required to be given by the doctor. This injection is also known as the cobalamin or the cyanocobalamin. Although it makes up for the loss of the vitamin in our body, it is rather painful and has several side effects too. Here are some vitamin B12 injections side effects, which you should be aware of in case you or someone else in your family is taking this injection.
Major Side Effects
The injections are of course useful for our body and they are non-toxic. Even if taken in a large amount, people hardly face any problems. But some people have often experienced certain side effects after taking this injection. Nowadays, every medicine has its pros and cons; similarly, even these injections have their negatives (which are rather rare). Some of them have been discussed below. Do keep in mind that some of them might be quite minor (usually they are) while some might be a bit severe.
- Mild diarrhea may occur.
- Skin problems like itching or skin rash can also occur. Bumps or the skin turning red is also common. This usually happens at the site of the injection.
- Some people can also experience chest pain, accompanied by breathing problem.
- People who have recently undergone a heart surgery, if they take this injection, then there are chances that the arteries might start narrowing down again.
- The person might also face difficulty in sleeping at night, i.e., he might start suffering from insomnia.
- The injections for weight loss is a common thing. This might also lead to certain side effects like nausea or maybe upset stomach.
- The person might also feel as if his whole body has swelled up after taking the injection.
- Another dangerous side effect is rapid heart rate. If this occurs, then medical attention is required immediately. Inform the doctor if you have any heart problem before taking the shot.
- Excessive coughing and wheezing can also follow a B12 shot.
- Some people who have taken the shot, also complains of muscle cramps as well as muscle spasms.
- If you have a history of blood clotting, then inform your doctor beforehand, because even a single side effect could sometimes be fatal.
- Anxiety and panic attacks have also been reported after taking this shot.
Studies say that it’s not the B12 but the preservatives present in the injection formula, that are responsible for these side effects. They may vary from one person to another. One should know how to give the injection, because the side effect, specially on the skin, also depends on that. One good news is that none of the effects are life-threatening, and if at all the person faces any kind of severe side effects, then medical attention should be given immediately. Pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding can also take in this injection. But, do have a talk with your doctor about your medical history before taking this shot.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.