Proper aftercare is highly necessary for faster recovery from wisdom tooth extraction procedure. Read on to know more about the subject.
Being the last teeth to develop in humans, wisdom teeth are more prone to problems like misalignment and impaction. In such cases, extraction is recommended, so as to avoid further complications, like damage to nearby teeth, infection, jaw and gum diseases and cysts. Even tumor development and cancer are said to be caused by an impacted wisdom tooth. As in case of any other tooth, wisdom tooth may also develop infections and other such conditions that may necessitate its removal.
Wisdom teeth removal could be an easy procedure or a complicated one. It depends on the location and condition of the concerned tooth. If the wisdom tooth is fully developed, then it can be extracted easily, as in case of normal tooth. This may not be possible with misaligned or impacted wisdom tooth that may require surgery to open up the gum. Even the jawbone may be required to be removed partially. So, there are chances of risks and complications associated with this surgery. Proper aftercare is also necessary for speedy recovery and prevention of complications, like dry socket.
Wisdom Tooth Removal – Aftercare
Wisdom tooth extraction is a procedure that is prone to complications. Some of these complications like infection and dry socket are avoidable with proper wisdom tooth extraction care. Even the type of extraction process may affect the recovery time. A simple tooth extraction process is almost always associated with speedy recovery as compared to that of an impacted tooth removal. You have to strictly follow the doctor’s instructions, for preventing such possible complications and to recover quickly.
- Once the extraction is done, the site will be sealed with a gauze, to prevent bleeding. You should not cause any disturbance to the gauze (as well as the site) and must keep it firm through biting. Make sure not to put extra pressure on the gauze.
- Apart from controlling bleeding, the gauze helps in retaining the blood clots formed in the tooth socket. These blood clots are vital for the healing process. If it is dislodged, there are chances that you develop dry socket, which is a painful condition that can lead to infection.
- As stated above, dislodging the blood clots in the socket is not advisable. So activities like vigorous rinsing, spitting and sucking, should be avoided. Even drinking of hot liquids should be avoided, for at least a day or two.
- As far as food intake is concerned, you must have soft, liquid foods for the next forty eight hours of the tooth extraction process. Anything hard and chewy must be avoided.
- You may develop pain, once the effect of anesthesia wanes off. So, you will be provided with pain killers. Even antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication will be prescribed by the doctor. Take these medication as per the instructions of the doctor.
- Wisdom tooth extraction can also cause swelling of the area. The best remedy for reducing such facial swelling is ice application. Wrap ice cubes in a gauze or soft cloth and apply it on the affected area for a few minutes. Repeat this at an interval of thirty minutes, for the first twenty four hours.
- Keep your head at elevated levels, when you sleep. This is also good for tackling swelling. For the first 24 hours of the surgery, you may resort to application of ice packs, for reducing swelling. From the second day, application of warm moist towels is preferable.
- Strenuous activities are best avoided for the first few days of tooth extraction. Even intake of alcohol is not advisable for a few days. As maintaining oral hygiene is essential to prevent infection and other such problems, you have to continue with gentle brushing (avoid the site of tooth extraction) and rinsing (with warm salt water), from the next day of the surgery.
So you must stick to your doctor’s instructions and take proper wisdom tooth extraction care to avoid complications. If you find no relief in bleeding, swelling, pain and other symptoms, then, contact your doctor at the earliest. The recovery time may differ from one to another on the basis of factors like underlying cause, extraction procedure and aftercare. In general, considerable healing can be witnessed within a week or two. So, proper care is always a vital part of healing and recovery in wisdom tooth extraction procedure.