Yeast infection of the skin is a common occurrence that can cause red and itchy rashes. Read on to know the causes and treatment for the same.
Yeast infection, referred to as candidiasis in medical terms, occurs when the fungi that live on the surface of the human body multiply, usually under specific conditions such as warm and moist environment. Vaginal yeast infection, nail bed infection, thrush and skin infections are some of the types of yeast infection which are commonly experienced by people. These infections often produce a number of symptoms such as patches in the affected area, swelling, pain, skin rash, etc. Here are the various causes of yeast infection skin rashes, explained in detail, followed by the treatment for the same.
- Yeast infection of the skin can be caused due to excessive sweating or due to antibiotic usage. Lack of movement, resulting in skin occlusion, especially in people who are diabetic can cause skin rashes.
- It could be due to a condition known as diaper rash, which mostly occurs in very young children, although people who are paralyzed may also suffer from it. This rash is caused by the diaper in children and due to increased acidity in the urine and the bowel movements in adults.
- An allergic reaction, which may have occurred due to the chemicals present in the soap, detergents, laundry, cosmetics, etc. could be another cause of yeast infection.
- Seborrheic dermatitis, a condition which occurs as an allergic reaction to the yeast present on the skin surface, can cause yellow-colored skin rashes on the head, face, neck and even genitalia.
- Skin rash in newly born babies can occur due to congential cutaneous candidiasis. In this case, infection occurs when the baby is passing through the birth canal, and rashes appear a couple of hours after delivery.
- Intertrigo, is an infection which occurs in the folds of the skin in the body areas which are very moist such as the groin, underarms and beneath the breasts. Skin rashes can be caused due to intertrigo too.
For treating skin rash caused by yeast infection, doctors generally prescribe anti-fungal creams and lotions, which have to be applied directly to the affected area. Nystatin powders, which are available over the counter, are also beneficial as they help in reducing the moisture from the skin, which is the primary cause behind the occurrence of these rashes. Some of the most commonly used nystatin powders are Mycostatin, Nystat-Rx, O-V Staticin and Nilstat. If the rash is caused due to an allergic reaction, avoiding the usage of cosmetics and other products which have strong chemicals in them will greatly help.
In most cases, a yeast skin rash is nothing to get worried about and can be treated at home itself. However, if the rash worsens, or if it does not clear up in a week or so, if the rash spreads all over the body or if other symptoms such as fever, nausea, chills develop, a doctor should be contacted immediately for proper diagnoses and treatment.
Besides the above-mentioned treatment, there are a number of self care treatments or precautions one can take to avoid their occurrence in future such as keeping the skin moisture free by maintaining hygiene, taking a bath whenever sweating is experienced, avoiding food which produce excessive acids and lastly by wearing clothes made of natural fibers such as cotton.