Interested in knowing the best anti-itch cream available in market? Then read the following article and help yourself. . . .
I guess most of us have faced the problem of itchy skin or severe itching, and that too many times! It is not a serious issue and mainly is caused by lifestyle, hygiene as well as the environment around us. If you check in the market, you will find a number of lotions and moisturizers to help deal with dry and itchy skin. Although itchy skin has been associated with dryness, very often, there could be several other reasons for the cause of same, like mosquito bites, infections, allergies, etc.
Topical applications work excellently against all sorts of itching problems. However, a few rare cases would require oral medications. When it comes to purchasing a cream for itching, you need to go for the one which will give quick relief. In medical terminology, anti-itch creams are broadly classified under 3 categories. Let us see what they are and how they prove to be useful.
- Antihistamines: The creams which come under this category generally have the compound diphenhydramine as a major ingredient that helps giving a soothing effect against bites, rashes, and allergies.
- Anesthetics: The creams coming under this category contain either benzocaine, pramoxine or lidocaine. After topical application they give temporary numbness in that particular part and thus provide relief. However, their use should be restricted since it can lead to severe irritation for people with sensitive skin as well as sleeplessness.
- Steroids: Hydrocortisone is the major ingredient in topical steroid-based anti-itch creams. These creams work well for minor itches, particularly with dry skin and help give relief.
If you wish to use some natural preparations, then make sure you use the ones mentioned below. Labels containing any one of the following ingredients would do the needful.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal or oat granules have natural properties of exfoliating the skin because they act as colloids giving soothing effect and work best for oily skin. You can apply oatmeal creams on insect bites.
- Aloe Vera: I guess we all are well acquainted with the medicinal uses of aloe vera and these are excellent in curing burns and inflammation. Aloe vera has been extensively used for treating psoriasis for quite some time now.
- Others: Some ingredients which work equally well against itching and skin rashes are menthol, camphor, phenol, and tea tree oil. They help soothe the affected parts since they have natural healing properties.
Now that you know what are the ingredients and how effectively they work, let us see some brands that you can trust.
- Cortizone-10 Maximum Strength Hydrocortisone Cream
- Advanced 24 Hour
- Preparation H (1% Hydrocortisone)
- Gold Bond Medicated
- Aveeno Calamine & Pramoxine HCL
- Aveeno Natural Colloidal Oatmeal Cream
- Femmesil All Natural
- Natureplex Maximum Strength (1% Hydrocortisone)
- Soothing Anti Itch Herbal Remedy Cream
- Clinique Redness Solutions Urgent Relief
- Cortaid Intensive Therapy Moisturizing
- Benadryl Anti Itch Gel
Itching is not something to worry about but it could lead to severe irritation if not dealt at the right time.