Struggling with an underactive thyroid gland? HealthHearty has some breakfast ideas for you, with recipes that are healthy, and which will bring up your energy levels.
Following a specific diet to control the level of thyroid hormones and ‘cure’ hypothyroidism has become quite popular in recent times. However, experts advise strongly against using any such alternative treatments.
In hypothyroidism, low energy levels and unexplained weight gain often go hand in hand. This is because, the thyroid glands control metabolism. It entails a drop in the levels of thyroxine and triiodothyronine – hormones produced by the thyroid glands. These hormones are needed by the various cells in the body to function properly – any lack thereof will cause a general slowing down of the system, leading to a feeling of lethargy.
The causes of an underactive thyroid are many, which include – iodine deficiency, damage to the thyroid gland such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or surgery, or even stress. Sluggishness, dry skin and hair, brittle fingernails, and increased sensitivity to cold, are common symptoms experienced. Untreated hypothyroidism can also result in depression and impaired memory.
While a diet cannot cure hypothyroidism, there are some nutrients that can be beneficial, like iodine and selenium. It is also a good idea to have a low-fiber, high-protein breakfast, as fiber can reduce the absorption of nutrients. Goitrogenic foods like spinach, kale, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, and cauliflower need to be avoided. Remember, always have medications on an empty stomach, followed by a healthy breakfast.
Breakfast Recipes for Hypothyroid Patients
A hypothyroid patient often feels fatigued and tends to gain weight. Certain foods also interfere with the absorption of medications. Keeping all this in mind, here are some dishes that are perfect for breakfast.
Having mushrooms, onions, and eggs are a great way to boost selenium levels.
Here is a quick recipe that is both filling and easy to make –
- 4 eggs
- 3 medium-sized mushrooms (any variety, though shiitake are said to be said for selenium)
- ½ tablespoon oil
- A knob of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the mushrooms roughly.
- Break the eggs in a mixing bowl, add seasoning to taste and whisk.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat, and put some butter on it.
- After the butter melts, pour the eggs in the pan. Wait till they set (approx 1 min) and flip over. Heat for another 30 seconds, then remove from pan.
- In the same pan, pour about half a tablespoon of oil, and saute the mushrooms till they are golden brown.
- Place the mushrooms on half-side of the omelet and fold it over.
- Serve it with a piece of toast and grilled tomatoes.
Mixed Berry Smoothie
Berries, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, are great for an early morning breakfast, whereas, yogurt is filling and makes you feel energized throughout the day.
- ½ cup strawberries, roughly chopped
- ½ cup mixed berries (blueberries, cranberries, and raspberries)
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Give it a whiz till the berries are blended in well, and pour in a tall glass.
Orange Cream Parfait
This is a bit of a treat, with its refreshing and creamy taste, yet loaded with vitamin C and calcium.
- 2 cups orange slices
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- ½ tablespoon wheat germ
- 2 crushed whole grain cookies/breakfast cereal of your choice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- Sugar to taste (approx. 2 teaspoons)
- Put the yogurt, orange zest, and sugar in a mixing bowl, and mix till smooth.
- Layer a glass or cup with a spoonful of crushed cookies and yogurt, followed by fruit slices.
- Repeat the layering until the glass is full.
- Sprinkle with wheat germ, and serve immediately.
Smoked Salmon Frittata
Eggs, salmon, and tomatoes. This recipe is loaded with all the nutrients you need, and is perfect for a leisurely breakfast or brunch.
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Break the eggs in a bowl, add Parmesan and seasoning, and whisk them.
- Heat the oil in an oven-safe frying pan.
- Saute the onions till golden brown, and add seasoning.
- Add the salmon and saute till it releases its flavor.
- Pour the egg mixture in the pan and stir gently.
- Keep on heat for about 4 minutes or till the edges and bottom are set.
- Place in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes.
Honey-lime Fruit Salad
This easy-to-make breakfast is full of vitamins and antioxidants. Pair it off with a fried egg and toast, to get a complete, nutritious breakfast.
- 2 cups chopped seasonal fruits (I used strawberries, kiwis, mandarins, and bananas)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Serve immediately with a fried egg and toast.
These are some breakfast ideas for hypothyroid patients. Here are other food items for low thyroid levels. Remember to follow a healthy, balanced diet, and do not eat breakfast before your medications – they need an empty stomach to get properly absorbed.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical professional. Any changes in your diet for low thyroid levels should be made only after consulting your doctor/dietitian.