Burning sensation in the scalp is no doubt very uncomfortable. It makes your life pathetic and miserable. Due to frequent episodes of burning scalp, you feel weak and sick. The only way to get rid of it is to seek medical attention to diagnose the underlying cause and its treatment. There can be numerous medical conditions that can show burning scalp sensation as one of their symptoms. Some of the major and most common ones are briefly described below, followed by some alternative methods of treatment for the responsible factors.
● One of the common reasons behind red burning scalp sensation is sunburn. It is described as the injury caused to the skin by the ultraviolet rays present in the sunlight. You may develop sunburn if you have had sun exposure for long hours in the recent past.● Sometimes, the immune system of your body produces a reaction to the chemical ingredients of the soap, shampoo, or other hair cleaning and styling products.
● Hypersensitive immune reaction is mostly the underlying cause for burning scalp sensation from hair dye. The scalp often gets inflamed and becomes red in appearance.
● Stress is another probable reason behind the burning sensation. The stress can be either emotional or psychological.
● The patients of migraine are often found to suffer from burning scalp sensation. Migraine is defined as a form of chronic recurring headaches. Red, itchy scalp can be one of the side effects of certain medications. Check out if you have taken any sort of either prescription or over-the-counter drugs lately.
● There are cases diagnosed to have shown association with sinuses and recurrent episodes of burning sensation. Sinuses are the hollow spaces for air in the nose of the human body. Disorder referring to one or more of 4 pairs of sinuses are called paranasal sinuses.
● In the back of the scalp, there is a nerve located called occipital nerve. The chronic pain disorder which is caused by irritation or injury to the occipital nerve is known as occipital neuralgia.
● One major causes is trichodynia or scalp dysesthesia.
● Burning scalp syndrome is another term to refer to the same disorder. It mostly affects people suffering from alopecia such as androgenic alopecia, telogen effluvium, etc.
● The signs and symptoms of burning scalp syndrome are burning, stinging and itching sensation of the scalp. There are yet many other factors that can lead to burning scalp. Some of them are deficiency of vitamin B12, diabetes, common cold, etc.
If you are experiencing frequent episodes of scalp sensation, you need to seek medical assistance as soon as possible. Clinical diagnosis and evaluation will reveal the underlying cause. The treatment of the medical problem giving rise to burning sensation in the scalp is the ideal approach to get rid of it forever. Such a thing is possible only when you receive good medical care and attention. You may try some home remedies to provide yourself with some relief and comfort. For example, sunburn can be treated with the usage of aloe vera gel, lavender oil, yogurt salve and green tea compress. Allergy against chemical products can be prevented by avoiding the usage of responsible products.
If stress is the causative factor for the burning sensation, then you may use Elemi oil, Frankincense oil, or Indian ginseng. Consult a herbalist to learn how to use them. Patients of migraine are often advised by their doctors to make use of ice pack, acupressure techniques, and aromatherapy on a regular basis. Occipital neuralgia needs medical intervention for treatment. The doctors generally prescribe antidepressants, massage therapy and complete rest as part of the treatment.
Effective medical attention is available to treat the causative factors of burning sensation on the scalp. You need to get it as soon as possible so that worsening of the symptom and the disorder can be prevented. Also, follow a healthy diet to boost the immune system of your body. With a strong immunity, your body will be able to cure the disorder through natural means.