Are you planning to undergo a cataract surgery, and not very sure of the incurring expenses? Well, the following article aims at addressing your cost-related queries.
Cataract is a condition in which the natural lenses of the eyes become a little cloudy. Those having this problem are not able to see properly, and if the appropriate steps to treat this condition are not taken it can lead to vision loss. This condition is mostly found in people aged over 55. Newborns and animals such as dogs are also likely to contract this problem.
Cost of Cataract Surgery
The most important factor to be considered before undergoing this surgery is the cost. Generally, it varies depending on the health insurance coverage, location, medical facility, and the type of lenses to be implanted. The aggregate expenditure includes not only the price of the surgeon, but also consists of the anesthesia fee and the price of different medications used before, during, and after the treatment.
The exact expenses can only be determined by the doctor who is going to operate. He would check the condition of the eye, do the appropriate tests, and then inform about the approximate spending. Various kinds of lenses are priced differently. If you opt for multifocal lenses, it can add about a $1,000 to the budget.
- If you are covered under the Medicare Health Insurance, it would normally include all types of lens implantation such as standard, monofocal, or intraocular.
- However, if you choose to get a multifocal lens implanted, you will have to bear the implantation expenses yourself.
- The price without insurance can fall anywhere between $5,000 to $10,000.
- However, you need to note that this price is just for one eye. If you want to get both your eyes operated, the expenditure can range from $10,000 to $20,000.
- Therefore, before undergoing the surgery, it is extremely essential to discuss the nitty-gritty of the cover with the insurance company.
Location and Medical Facility
These two factors play an important role in determining the cost of any medical procedure.
- It can vary depending on the state and city you are being treated in. This is because ophthalmologists in diverse regions charge differently for the same treatment. For instance, the overall cost of the surgery would be more in Los Angeles than in any other state.
- The kind of medical facility being employed in the treatment also affects the expenses.
Even if you do not have any sort of a health insurance plan, you need not worry about the payment as there are many alternatives for financing the treatment. A majority of ophthalmologists have contracts with financing agencies to assist you in choosing a suitable method of payment. You can choose a good payment plan as per your financial status.
If you want to get the cataract treatment done for the best price, you simply need to inquire in a few hospitals and ophthalmologist clinics in your neighborhood. Of course, do not forget to determine the actual components of the treatment being covered in your health insurance policy.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.