This article brings to you a comparative analysis on Darvocet vs Vicofdin. These are narcotic drugs prescribed for managing painful conditions.
Darvocet and Vicodin are narcotic drugs and are prescribed for dealing with painful symptoms which are mild to moderate by nature. When we talk about side effects, drug interactions or precautions, these two level each other equally. The difference comes when the subject of abuse occurs, which we would know about in the following.
Difference Between Darvocet and Vicodin
As I was saying, when it comes to abuse, there is a line that is drawn between Darvocet and Vicodin. As these drugs hail from the narcotic family, their use comes under special laws and regulations. Darvocet (made of propoxyphene napsylate and acetaminophen) in this respect is a Schedule IV controlled substance; meaning, the use, manufacture, and possession are all regulated by the government.
And as far as the other one, that is, Vicodin (made of hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen) is concerned, according to experts, it is classified as Schedule III control substance act. This specifies the fact that the latter happens to be more likely to be abused, when compared with the former.
Starting off with Darvocet, the common side effects which may arise include:
- Headaches, abdominal pain, which may be accompanied by mild changes in the vision, may occur
- Constipation may set in after using the drug
- The person may feel lightheaded, drowsy or dizzy
- He may feel nauseous or may even vomit
- Weakness may be another symptom
Now these are some side effects which are usually tolerable by most people, due to their mild nature. However, there are exceptions wherein, the drug may cause side effects so severe that, the user may be in a potentially serious situation. These side effects include:
- The heartbeat may become slow
- Breathing may become shallow
- The person may feeling as if he is going to pass out
- The user may behave abnormally or remain confused
- Hallucinations might be a possible serious side effect
- Symptoms of liver damage or kidney damage
- Chest pain
- Itching, hives, swollen mouth, skin rash, and other signs of a severe allergic reaction
Side effects of Vicodin, when compared to those of Darvocet, are mild and well tolerated by most people. The common ones include:
- Nausea / vomiting
- Dizziness, drowsiness and a feeling of lightheadedness
- Patient may feel constipated
So you see how severe the side effects of Darvocet can turn into. And this is the reason the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has withdrawn the availability of this drug from the market. The main driving factor behind this step was propoxyphene’s (which is a constituent of Darvocet) ability to affect the heart rhythm by a serious degree, even at normal doses. Given that, the use of this drug was discontinued in the United States in 2010.