Filiform warts are caused due to a virus and can spread through direct and indirect contact. There is no fully effective treatment to remove these watrs, but certain home remedies can be used. The following article provides information about the same.
Filiform warts are caused due to the Human papillomavirus or HPV. These can occur on any part of the body and especially develop around the warm and moist places such as cuts or injuries. The virus when enters the skin can multiply and lead to an outgrowth. These can be transferred from one part of the body to another, and from person to person as well due to direct skin contact. These are ugly and have multiple thin, brush-like growths. These are usually flesh colored. Appearance of these warts on the eyelid is the most common. The symptoms include itching and bleeding, and pain if they occur in areas where the skin rubs. These skin outgrowths can be removed through various home remedies and clinical options.
- Duct tape is a popular and effective home remedy to remove these warts. Apply duct tape to cover the wart and keep it for a week before removing.
- Another way is to grind some cilantro and make a poultice of it to be applied on the wart. Apply this paste on the affected area for a few months to see the results.
- Potato slices are also known to show effective results. First scrub the area using a disposable nail file, and then place the potato slice and secure it with an adhesive bandage. Leave it for a day and replace the slice and bandage the next day. Repeat this procedure for a few days to get the desired results.
- Application of onion juice over the wart regularly is also known to be effective in getting rid of them.
If the aforementioned remedies do not show the desired results and the problem goes on increasing, then you may visit a dermatologist. The doctor might prescribe you some oral medications or topical ointments. Apart from these, there are also a few other procedures, which you can opt for the removal of these warts.
- A laser surgery is a popular option for this. Here a tiny laser beam is used to burn the cells and destroy the warts. You might require more than one sitting for complete removal of the warts.
- Another effective option is cryosurgery. Here special chemicals, mainly liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the cells of the wart. Due to the extremely low temperature the cells of this area die and the wart falls off. This treatment also needs to be repeated after 2-3 weeks for a few months, to completely get rid of the wart-causing virus.
- The next option is the use of electrosurgery, where electric current is used to kill the virus. The doctor might also suggest a surgery where the wart will be cut off after giving a local anesthesia. This method is considered as the last option, as the surgery might leave a scar over your skin and take a long time to heal.
To prevent this condition, it is important to keep the skin clean and dry. Also cleaning the area before you opt for any kind of treatment is essential. In case the warts are in the skin creases, than you can keep them padded so as to avoid pain or irritation caused due to friction. Make sure that you don’t stay ignorant and opt for a treatment as soon as possible.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.