A well planned fruit diet is capable of controlling high blood glucose levels for diabetics. We have provided you a sample diet in this article that you can refer to. Read on…
Diabetics have high blood sugar level due to which considerable restriction is imposed on their eating habits. Carbohydrates and sugars are completely eliminated from their diet when blood glucose levels rise at abnormal level. The widely accepted American Diabetic Association Diet recommends intake of fruits and vegetables regularly. Dairy products devoid of fats and carbohydrates are also allowed to consume in moderate amounts. In this article we shall present you a sample fruit diet for diabetes patients.
Fruits to Avoid for Diabetics
Many people believe that incorporation of fruits in their diet helps to bring down blood glucose levels. If you think on the same lines, then you must plan your fruit diet wisely. This is because not all fruits are safe for you. Some fruits have high percentage of sugars and the calorie contained in them in considerably high. The fruits that you must avoid are:
The fruits that have been listed in the aforementioned content are rich in sugars and should be avoided as much as possible. However, you can have their juice once a while because juicing reduces the sugar content. If you have planned to go on a fruit diet, then you can follow this diet plan.
Fruit Diet For Diabetes: Menu
Fruit Recipes for Diabetics
- Raw: Cut slices of the fruits that are considered to be safe. You can garnish with zest of lemon and pepper, but no sugar.
- Smoothie: Prepare the smoothies with skimmed milk. Add minimal jaggery, honey or unsweetened sugar (Splenda) for developing the sweet taste.
- Juice: Have fresh juices. Combine two or more fruits, chill them and then drink.
Fruit dish recipes are very limited for diabetes patients as addition of creams, cheese and butter is strictly restricted. Having them in fresh form probably brings about the best results. Those who are in a weight loss diet can have those pulpy fruits in boiled form as well. You can also make pies and cakes, but make sure they are devoid of sugar and simple carbohydrates.
Benefits of Fruit Diet
- Fruits are rich in antioxidants, that detoxifies your body from harmful toxins and free radicals.
- The fat content of fruits is also very low which relieves you from the worry of weight gain.
- Fruits are also rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids. These compounds reduce absorption of glucose.
- Apple is one of those essential fruits that effectively reduces blood glucose levels.
- Fruits are rich in pectin and galacturonic acid, which are necessary for improvement of your health.
- Vitamin B1, an active component of fruits, protects brain cells from damage.
- Citrus fruits are rich in calcium, which is effective in preventing absorption of glucose.
- Guava, being rich in fiber is always suggested to diabetics. Fiber also lowers blood glucose level.
The fruit diet for diabetics explained in the content above can also be used as a weight loss diet. However, do not consume canned fruit juices as they are artificially sweetened and preserved. Apart from fruits, also include plenty of fresh green vegetables, fibers and proteins in your diet. Blood sugar levels can be controlled effectively only when your diet is perfect.