Glucosamine is a precursor of the biochemical synthesis of glycosylated proteins and lipids. It is a sort of amino sugar that is a part of the exoskeleton of the crustaceans and several arthropods, cell wall of fungi, and also some higher organisms. It is available in three forms as glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride, and glucosamine NAS.
Amongst all these, glucosamine sulfate is the most preferred form due to its easy availability and efficiency to travel into the bones joints. There are several side effects that are observed in people, who have shellfish allergy and diabetes.
- It gets absorbed in the body and helps the body in the process of self healing, which is also called bioavailability of the drug.
- It stimulates glycosamine glycans, which is an important structure in the bone cartilage.
- It is very essential for the healthy growth of the cartilage.
- This stimulation ultimately increases the production of bone cartilage, and this whole process eventually heals pain.
- Due to these healing properties, this drug is used for treating arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and bloody diarrhea as well.
- The dosage depends upon the weight of each individual. An overdose can lead to severe side effects.
- The main side effect is observed on the gastrointestinal tract of the patient.
- It leads to softened stools that can get converted into diarrhea and flatulence or increased bloating.
- The side effects of chondroitin, which is a similar drug are just the same.
Reaction with Insulin
- Researches have admitted that supplements may react adversely on the insulin resistance of the person, which directly means that the person gets prone to having diabetes.
- So, those of you who are at the risk of diabetes or suffering from it already must always discuss with the health care provider, and then start using them.
- Those who do not know about their diabetic status can always check the blood first, and make sure that they are out of risk of diabetes and any side effects.
- This medicine can increase the anti-inflammatory activities of the non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin, and it may cause several health-related issues.
- It can also interact with the blood pressure medications and the blood sugar lowering medications.
- It is also not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women, as there are no evidences related to the side effects on them.
- People who are allergic to shellfish must not consume this tablet, as their body reacts with the proteins found in the shellfish.
- After all, these tablets are derived from the exoskeletons of the shellfish and other crustaceans.
- These side effects are just like the allergies that are observed in the people with shellfish allergies, like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hives, swelling of mouth, etc.
- There are several 'vegetarian glucosamine' available for such people that are made using corns.
Glucosamine sulfate also has high amounts of potassium, sodium, and magnesium, and people who are taking special high potassium diet or potassium sparing diuretics must always check with a health care provider first. One thing to be noticed is that most of these supplements are safe, and they do not show any side effects. But to be on the safer side, make sure to check with your doctor first, and then consume these supplements. Take care and stay healthy.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.