A jaw surgery diet consists of soft food that is easy to swallow. Here are some liquid diet recipes that are nutritious and also easy to make.
Jaw surgery is also called orthognathic surgery, which is performed for various purposes like adjusting the jaw structure growth, and for helping alleviate sleep apnea and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, that cannot be corrected without a surgery. A person having undergone a jaw surgery must know about the post-operative care to take. The first precaution is to follow a diet that will not put any additional pressure on the jaw, and will cause the least movement. The diet primarily includes soups and easy-to-chew foods. Eating according to such a plan helps reduce the pain, and aids quick recovery.
While it is always beneficial to follow a liquid diet, it is also very important to look for the daily nutritional benefits that the body should gain from it. The recipes chosen should be such that the body’s nutritional requirements are met. Hence, it is important to select nutritious foods while selecting a meal plan. The diet must allow a person to have at least two quarts of liquids in a day.
- First Week: The diet should include water, milk, buttermilk, fruit juices, bouillons or clear broths, and diluted soups in the first week. Avoid foods that contain MSG, especially present in Chinese food. Protein-rich soups, soft drinks (in moderate amounts), eggnogs, and milkshakes can be consumed. During the first week after surgery, it is also very important to wash the mouth with a soft toothbrush, after eating anything.
- After the First Week: It is better to thicken the fluids in a gradual way, while also keeping the nutritional needs in mind. There are chances of weight loss, and it is very important for the body to get the required nutrients through a liquid diet. See to it that the body gets enough amounts of vitamin C and proteins. At this stage, use powdered milk, peanut butter, and bananas. Protein shakes and foods made using Brewer’s yeast are also useful. One must always maintain a variety in the diet, and include pureed foods, stews, baby foods, hot cereals, yogurts, etc. Blended soup recipes can also be included.
After a few weeks, it is advisable to include soft solid foodstuffs like:
- Meats, poultry, or fish: 2 – 3 servings per day are recommended (Serving size = 3 – 4 oz.)
- Fruits and vegetables: 4 or more servings per day (Serving size = ½ cup)
- Whole grains (bread/cereals): 4 servings per day (Serving size = ½ cup)
- Dairy products: 2 or more servings per day (Serving size = 1 cup)
There is no need to fret, as there are many recipes that you can try. They are healthy and tasty. Simple recipes like chicken broth, tomato soup, fruit juices, and smoothies are good choices for an amateur in cooking. Well, for addition, here are a few recipes meant for jaw surgery that one can include in one’s daily diet.
Fruit and Bran Milk
- ½ orange
- ½ apple
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup bran flakes
- 2 tablespoons of wheat germs
- Take a blender, combine all ingredients into it.
- Blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- You can add the fruits of your own choice too.
- This is an easy-to-make drink that makes a good breakfast recipe.
- It provides 218 calories, 13.1g protein, 96.1g carbohydrates, and 3.4g fat.
Chicken Broccoli Soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup cooked broccoli
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream or fresh yogurt
- Take a saucepan and pour cream or yogurt into it.
- Add flour to it, and stir the mixture until it gets a smooth texture.
- Later, add cooked broccoli and chicken broth into it, and cook thoroughly.
- The easy-to-make and tasty chicken broccoli soup is ready.
- Season it with pepper and salt.
- One can also try to make a creamy asparagus soup, which is also a great choice for a liquid diet. This chicken broccoli soup has 66.5 calories, 5.9g protein, 6.2g carbohydrates, and 2.2g fat.
- ½ chicken breast
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup carrot cubes
- Cook potato and carrot (separately) until tender.
- Cook the chicken breast until tender.
- Take a blender and add cooked carrot, potato, and chicken breast to it.
- Add the chicken broth into it and blend finely.
- Add pepper and salt to taste, and serve this chicken delight.
- This recipe contains 284.5 calories, 32.1g protein, 28g carbohydrates, and 4.7g fat.
Sweet pea puree, apple smoothie, peanut buttermilk, and cream of wheat are among the other delightful recipes that can be included in the diet plan.