Low residue diet is gaining a lot of popularity nowadays. The following article will provide you with some easy recipes that will help you to follow this diet effectively.
For most of us, eating is a necessity. We do not have time to plan our diet, and make sure only the healthy ingredients are used, etc. Most of the time we are not even aware that certain foodstuffs that we eat everyday, are the ones that should be avoided. One of such foodstuffs are high residue foods. As the name suggests, they are the foods that do not get digested easily, and remain in the intestine.
A low residue diet restricts the intake of such foods. This diet is suggested by doctors in case of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or an abdominal surgery. The foodstuffs that can be included in this diet are white rice, refined dry cereals, refined bread, milk, ice cream, tender meat, eggs, fish, poultry, jelly, honey, vegetable juice, etc. The foods that should be avoided are peanut butter, whole vegetables, pasta, whole-grain cereals, whole-grain bread, coconut, etc.
- Eggs separated, 2
- Low fat spread, ¼ oz.
- Water, 1 tsp.
- Salt and pepper
- Grated low fat cheese (optional)
- Lightly heat an omelet pan, also preheat a grill only until moderately hot.
- Take a medium-sized bowl, and beat the egg whites in it until soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks with a little cold water, until frothy, season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the egg whites and mix until well incorporated.
- Now melt cheese in the omelet pan, pour the omelet mixture, and level.
- Cook for about 2 – 3 minutes, until golden brown, sprinkle cheese on top.
- Slowly place the omelet under grill, and cook for about ½ minute, or until the cheese starts melting.
- Serve immediately.
Simple Potato Salad
- Potatoes, 3
- Eggs, 2
- Light salad cream, 1 ½ cups
- Pinch of paprika
- Take a small pot, add water, and salt to it, bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, and let them cook for about 15 minutes until tender but firm.
- Drain the water, and let them cool.
- Meanwhile, take a saucepan, add eggs to it, pour water until eggs completely covered.
- Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, let them stand in water for about 10 – 12 minutes covered.
- After the required time, remove the eggs, let them cool.
- Peel the cooled eggs, and around the egg white, do not touch the yolk.
- Dice the potatoes and egg whites, combine them well in a mixing bowl, add the salad dressing.
- Toss the eggs and potatoes, season with crumbled egg yolk and paprika.
- Serve immediately or chilled.
- Caster sugar, 7 oz.
- Vanilla essence, 1 tsp.
- Cornflour, 1 level tsp.
- Vinegar, 1 tsp.
- Egg whites, 3
- Grated chocolate
- Light double/whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Take a large bowl, and whisk egg whites in it until white peaks form, and the mixture becomes stiff.
- Combine vanilla essence, vinegar, and cornflour in another bowl.
- Mix well, and then add it to the egg whites.
- Add sugar gradually, mix well until well incorporated.
- When the mixture is heavy, smooth, and stiff, spread onto a flat baking sheet which has been lined with baking paper.
- Spread the mixture into about 1 inch thick circle, which is about 9 – 10 inches wide.
- Place the mixture in a preheated oven, and immediately lower the temperature to 275ºF.
- Cook for about 1 hour, or until dry and crisp.
- Let it cool completely in the oven itself, if possible keep in the oven overnight.
- Wrap the pavlova in a tin foil until ready to use.
- While serving, spread whip cream evenly over the meringue, sprinkle grated chocolate on top.
As you must have observed, these recipes are not difficult. So with these easy recipes at hand, you can follow your low fiber and low residue diet wholeheartedly!