There are many types of lungs diseases which need to be taken care of in time as they may lead to fatal conditions. Lung diseases list given here will help you to get an idea of the possible lung disease and to get immediate treatment to avoid dangerous consequences.
The lungs are one of the most important organs of our body. It helps in the process of respiration and together with heart it performs the purification of blood through supply of oxygen. Any problem with the lungs may result in life-threatening consequences. Air is inhaled inside the body through the nostrils and is directly received by the lungs. This process exposes the lungs to many infections and diseases which if not taken care in time may even lead to death. So, keep a note of the list of lung diseases and try to protect yourself from acquiring them.
Types of Lung Disease
As there are many diseases associated with lungs, they can be classified in many different ways. In terms of physiologic categories we can say there are three types of lung diseases. They are as follows.
- Obstructive Lung Disease: This type of lung disease is caused due to the obstruction in the airways due the narrowing or blockage. Some of the diseases which are included in this category are asthma, emphysema and bronchitis.
- Restrictive Lung Disease: This type of lung disease is a result of the inability of the lungs to hold the air inside the air sacs. Restrictive lung disease is either due to the decrease in the elasticity of the lungs or the expansion of the chest walls.
- The last category is for the diseases which are related to the inability of the air sacs to supply oxygen or to move it to the blood. This results in the lack of oxygen in the blood as well as in the body.
List of Lung Diseases
All the lung diseases are differentiated according to the categories given in the previous section. Some of the diseases even carry symptoms or problems of more than one category. Following is the list of major lung diseases. The list may not be complete, but we have tried to bring most of the major diseases into your knowledge.
- BOOP (bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Acute Bronchitis
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
- Coccidioidomycosis (Cocci)
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Human Metapneumovirus
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Lung Cancer
- Nontuberculosis Mycobacterium
- Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Pulmonary Vascular Disease
- Black lung disease (coal worker’s pneumoconiosis)
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
- Sleep Apnea
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP)
- Wegener’s Granulomatosis
Lung Disease Symptoms and Treatments
The symptoms of the lung diseases totally depends upon its type. The symptoms may also vary from person to person as the resistance power of the body also matters. Cough, shortness of breath, wheezing, tiredness, chills, shaking, accelerated heartbeat, etc., are some of the most common symptoms. Chronic lung disease may result in blood during coughing, inability to breathe, chest pain, etc. These symptoms can be treated as soon as possible to avoid complications.
Treatment will also depend upon the type of disease. Antibiotics, supplemental vitamins, painkillers, inhalers, etc., are some of the common treatments. In case of severe condition non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (NIV), chest physiotherapy, supplemental oxygen therapy, etc., may be given. Lung diseases caused by smoking like emphysema and asthma, can be treated only when the person stops smoking.
By the lung diseases given in this article we can make out how susceptible this organ is towards getting diseases. So, maintain a healthy diet, stay away from smoking and follow your doctor’s advice. Take care!