This HealthHearty article shares some resourceful insights on prednisone drug, which is consumed by many people without understanding the side effects associated with the same.
Prednisone is essentially a steroid known as corticosteroid. It is useful in treating various diseases if consumed under the guidance of the doctors or experts. It is mainly used to treat inflammatory diseases and some types of cancers. Prednisone is an effective immunosuppresant drug. Since it suppresses the immune system, the person consuming it is at risk of catching various infection and diseases, hence, the overdose and injudicious use of prednisone should be avoided. The side effects of this drug are same on men and women, but women and pregnant women are at extreme risk if they consume this drug without prescription. Apart from this, there are many other side effects associated with prednisone.
Prednisone Side Effects Faced by Women
- Prednisone is known to interfere with the menstrual cycle of women. Many women complain of irregular periods after the prolonged use of this drug. Some women also complain of heavy bleeding, upset stomach, and abdominal cramps while being on this drug.
- This drug also intervenes with the hormonal changes in the body and is also notorious for causing hormonal imbalance leading to various emotional problems. For example, many women suffer from severe depression, extreme mood swings, and increased anxiety, etc.
- Apart from this, pregnant women are extremely vulnerable to prednisone as it is known to have adverse effects on the mother as well the baby. It is also known to cause hives and rashes in pregnant women. Some pregnant women also complain of excessive stretch marks during and after pregnancy.
These were some of the prednisone side effects that can be experienced by women. Now let’s take a look at some of the general side effects that can be faced by both men and women.
Other Prednisone Side Effects in Women
- As mentioned above, being an immunosuppressant, prednisone can cause severe skin infections, such as hives, rashes, and itching.
- It also causes various respiratory infections that could lead to difficulty in breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of organs involved in respiratory system, etc.
- This drug is also known to cause weight gain as it increases the appetite and hunger. In some cases it decreases appetite which can lead to excessive weight loss.
- Prednisone is also linked to various stomach and abdominal problems, such as diarrhea, black and tarry stools, stomach ulcers, nausea, and vomiting, along with internal bleeding of the stomach and the intestine.
- Some people have also reported to suffer from chronic sleep disturbances, sleep related problems, water retention, and excessive sweating, as prednisone interferes with many bodily functions of an individual.
- Apart from this, it also causes headache, abnormal fat distribution, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, unusual hiccups, excessive hair growth, high blood pressure, fits, abnormal heart rhythm, cataracts, vasculitis, fever, dizziness, prolonged sore throat and cold, and enlarged liver. But these are rare side effects.
- There are few rare psychological side effects like personality changes, false sense of well-being, and chronic stress accompanied with personality disorder/s.
If you observe or experience any of these side effects, it is advisable to visit your doctor as soon as possible. Your doctor will analyze your medical history, the current side effects, and the disease for which you were prescribed prednisone. You may be asked to undergo certain tests in order to suggest the right treatment for the health problem. But as we all know, prevention is better than cure and hence, it is better to avoid consuming over the counter prednisone drug.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.