announcement

Help someone with useful health advice.

Rat Poisoning Symptoms

Rat Poisoning Symptoms

Rat poisoning symptoms can range from weakness to coma. If somebody has ingested rat poison, immediate medical treatment is required. This article will provide you with an overview of this topic.
Pragya T
Last Updated: Mar 24, 2018
Rat poison is safe to touch, but hazardous if ingested. The most frequently asked question about its side effects is, what is it made of that it can produce such extreme signs? Rat poison is made of toxic chemicals, and the most common type available contains anti-coagulant rodenticide chemicals. These coagulants deplete the amount of vitamin K in the rats, and thus, kill them. If your pet swallows the poison, the amount of vitamin K will deplete in the pet's body and so, the vet provides vitamin K to the pet in such cases. Other chemicals used for making this poison are zinc phosphide and calciferols. Due to the use of such toxic chemicals, one can experience serious signs. This poison is a type of toxic pesticide, and the rat poisoning symptoms in humans and animals are distinct.

In Humans
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Nosebleeds
  • Bleeding of gums
  • Difficulty while breathing
  • Blood during diarrhea
  • Loss of hair
  • Extended bruising
  • Urine containing blood
  • Feeling of lethargy
  • Death
Rat poisoning in humans gives a feeling of weakness, from which the person takes time to recover. Ingesting a huge amount of this poison, in critical cases can lead to death due to heart complications or hemorrhage. If you are caught in a situation wherein you witness a case like this, immediately contact the hotline for poison control. They will direct you to the appropriate authorities, who will be able to help you in such a situation.

In Pets

The earlier you detect the signs of poisoning in dogs or cats, the less painful the treatment for your pet will be. The signs for cats and dogs differ, a dog might rarely swallow a rat who ingested poison, but there is quite a possibility that a cat might swallow a rat who is poisoned.

In Dogs
  • Fever
  • Uncoordinated gait
  • Muscle tremors
  • Weakness
  • Mild coughing
  • Breathing problems or lung problems
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Extensive bruising
  • Coma
  • Loss of hair
  • Slobbering
  • Drooling
  • Excitation
  • Fatigue
  • Coagulation of blood
  • Blood present in stool
  • Blood in the urine
  • Bright green stool, if rat bait pellets are eaten
  • Nosebleeds
  • Internal bleeding of lungs
  • Internal bleeding of gums
  • Blood in saliva
  • Rejecting food
In Cats
  • Constant and loud crying
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive saliva coming out from mouth
  • Troublesome sleep
  • Seizures
If your pet is showing the above mentioned signs, take the pet to the veterinarian immediately. The vet will induce vomiting within a period of two hours by giving the pet hydrogen peroxide. Then, he will give the pet vitamin K, 2 times in a day for a period of 3 weeks or more. If it's been more than 2 days after the ingestion of the poison, the vet will check the clotting times and give your pet a plasma transfusion. In critical situations, the vet will supply the pet with intravenous fluids along with blood transfusions.

To prevent any side effects of this poison in your pet, keep all the medicines out of their reach. It is best if you store them in cabinets and lock the cabinets containing medicines. Whenever using rat poisons to kill rats, make sure that you dispose all the poison safely after the rats are killed. It is wise to you keep your pet at a friend's or relative's place for few days, when you are using rat poison. So, keep in mind these poisoning symptoms and prevent any health complications.

Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.