Have you come across someone who has ears looking not just huge but flabby and gloomy? Well, if you do spot someone sport a ear of a kind, you my well presume it to be a cauliflower ear.
Cauliflower ear, an entity that sounds funny and may elicit laughter. However, the agony one goes through is in no way synonymous to the ludicrous onomatopoeia that is created. Cauliflower ear, also coveted to be known as boxers ear or wrestler’s ear, is a condition in which the ear endures a puffy and lump like appearance on the cartilage and the ear lobe due to countering an infection or severe trauma.
There is swelling that occurs on the periphery of the ear which is thus, the marked indication of enduring cauliflower ear. It is a painful condition that may lead to utter discomfort, especially while one sleeps. The pain is elevated when the individual, by default, turns over to the side where the ear has succumbed to the infection or trauma, while asleep. He may wake up with a startle and may have beads of perspiration running down his forehead when he realizes the pain.
Cauliflower ear is generally brooked by wrestler’s or those who are involved in contact sports. When the individual gets hit with utmost harshness and with an absolute lack of mercy, it is probable that the ear may puff up. It may be the result of a single tightfisted blow or repeated blows that may necessarily not be of the same intensity. A way to prevent cauliflower ear is to wear headgear that is sturdy, which in turn helps in protecting the ear and sparing you the trouble you bear with cauliflower ear.
Symptoms of a Cauliflower Ear
If you have sustained an injury on your ear, you must look out for symptoms that may indicate cauliflower ear. You have endured a cauliflower ear if:
- Your ears are red and puffy
- There is a feeling of your ear being very lumpy
- Your ear feels warm and heavy
- The area around the ear becomes swollen
Causes of a Cauliflower Ear
It is due to the trauma that is sustained that the blood flow is constricted from the skin to the cartilage. It is when the skin gets detached from the cartilage that the swelling occurs as the blood flow halts, thereby also curbing the nutrients that are transferred from the skin to the cartilage. A cauliflower ear is caused due to:
- A severe trauma that is borne by an individual. Wrestler’s, boxers and all those who practice martial arts can endure a cauliflower ear.
- Ear piercing harshly done can result in the ear to swell up.
- An infection in the ear lobe.
Treatment Regimen to be Followed
Cauliflower ears have to be checked and treated at the earliest. It will be to your complete advantage not to neglect the situation and consult an expert to correct the condition. If cauliflower ear is left untreated it can lead to the cartilage dying, due to which there could be a loss of sensation in the area. If cauliflower ear is not attended to at the earliest, it may lead to:
- Spread of Infection
- Loss of hearing ability
- Numbness or loss of sensation in the area
- Permanent damage
Apart from rushing to the doctor, here are a few things that you may do to control the situation and derive some relief. Immediate remedies include:
- Apply an ice pack as soon as you feel that your ear is turning warm and you find the ear heavy.
- You may also apply thin slices of cucumber on the site of the injury.
- Take an appointment at the doctor clinic. He will prescribe you some antibiotics that you have to continue until the course culminates.
After the appointment at the doctors:
- Make sure that the ear is far from touch
- The doctor will drain out the fluid by making an incision. The ear will be bandaged so that the ear is not affected by touch or a jerk of any kind.
- Stay away from contact sports or any other activity, courtesy which the condition has taken place, until the state settles down.
- Keep up with the application of ice packs to soothe the ear. Applying ice packs two to three times a day is ideal.
Cauliflower ears can be prevented if you are careful and adorn the right headgear required to protect the ears.