Following a correct diet, is an important aspect, if you are diagnosed with gastritis. This post will help you with what to eat when you have gastritis. Have a look.
Gastritis is inflammation or in simple words, swelling of the stomach lining. It is mainly caused due to excessive alcohol intake, prolonged anti-inflammatory drugs, and sometimes may develop after a major surgery, or due to some severe infection too. Once you’re diagnosed with the particular disorder and put on various medications to help it subside, the next big thing your doctor would want to discuss is your diet. Since, everything we eat has to pass through the stomach, it is important to track what you are eating, as the food that you eat can sometimes aggravate the whole condition of gastritis. Consumption of foods that do not put the stomach through a lot of hard work, have to be resorted to. There is also much emphasis on foods that have to be avoided when you have gastritis. So what to eat when you have gastritis? Well, easily digestible and soothing foods for gastritis are highly recommended. What follows next is a detailed information about the same.
Good Food Habits for Gastritis
First and the foremost, you must know that your stomach is delicate now and you cannot be having anything and everything. It is important to eat foods that are easy on the stomach. Along with the right kind of foods, there are various food habits you must adapt to, like:
- Have smaller meals throughout the day. If that is not feasible, work your diet around 3 meals per day.
- Eat slowly, and ensure that you have chewed the food properly before swallowing it, as that would help in easy digestion.
- Never overeat, even if it is your favorite preparation, since overeating can cause excess acid secretion, which will only aggravate the gastritis condition.
- Intake of alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine has to be eliminated completely, as they are likely to cause stomach irritation and would lead to further swelling, making the condition all the more complicated.
- Drink plenty of water, as it facilitates digestion. Now make sure you do not fill yourself with water during or right after meals, as this would result in dilution of the digestive acids, making digestion difficult.
Foods Good for Gastritis
Fruits like pears, apples, bananas, berries, and those low acid ones have to be included in your daily diet. Fruits are soothing foods for gastritis, and also fiber-rich, hence, help in making the digestion much easier.
Leafy vegetables have to be washed properly before cooking. Vegetables like lettuce, spinach, fenugreek, broccoli, etc., contain high dietary fibers and are rich in vitamin K, which help in digestion and in soothing the stomach irritation.
Coconut water and carrot juice works wonders for the gastritis condition. It helps in soothing stomach inflammation.
Grains and Cereals
Unpolished white rice not only provides one with energy, but also covers the stomach lining with a gelatinous texture that protects it. Whole grains, wheat bran, oatmeal, etc., are also safe for consumption.
Meat and Dairy Products
Meat and dairy products are not really recommended to include in a gastritis diet, but they are protein rich foods that your body requires. Hence, lean meats, tofu, yogurt and fish of cold water are advisable, but again in small quantities. Don’t overeat.
It goes without saying, consume plenty of water everyday. Consume at least 10 – 12 glasses of water everyday. Water not only helps in the digestion, but also helps the body to get rid of various toxins, which in turn would reduce your risk to any infections that could lead to further complication in the gastritis condition.
Make sure you strictly and religiously follow the diet protocols and take your medications for speedy recovery.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical expert.